Monday, January 24, 2011

More at Mustang

Yesterday we attended Bay Area Fellowship in Corpus, which is a church of about 8000.  It's basically like going to a Sunday morning rock concert and then hearing God's word.  It's an awesome church where God is moving as the people reach out.
We got a few more pictures of activities around Corpus and Mustang Isle.
 On the USS Lexington.
18 m above the water felt sketchy.

 Of all the planes onboard, we liked the Tomcat best.
 James is looking back to ask Janna to bank hard to the left and Jake to let up on the throttle.

 Not everyone takes their posts seriously.


Tori's Socials test.
Janna's math assignment.
James' math lesson.
Sometimes it's difficult to keep your student awake for a whole lesson.

A good place for windy past times.
We made some great new friends here.  We got to take Jada the Collie for a walk almost everyday.  Her owners, Paul and Ginger, loved seeing the kids have fun with her.
Shrimping
We borrowed Paul's shrimp digger to get a bunch for the fishermen.  We got pretty efficient and soon packed about 70 shrimp down the beach with a big smile, and then learned the rules.
We could have 20 each if we were fishing, which we had no intention of doing, thus rendering our shrimps worth $10 each in fines emphasizing the need for us to offload the goods quickly.  I called to one fisherman who was quite hard of hearing, "Would you care to fill up your shrimp stocks?"  As I was finishing my query I slipped on the black scum of the rocks, tumbling sideways and scattering over half of my illegal catch on the rocks.  James jumped to the rescue!  We hurriedly picked up all we could, gave away all the handfuls we could and then put the rest back on the sand to burrow their ways back to safety.  There are less nerve racking ways to feel like you just saved $700.




 Two views from the deck at the restrooms.

 Chase and Robyn are helping make sure the moat works.
Ken and James are gearing up with whatever they can find to go fishing.

On Saturday we were given permission to use a church parking lot to host a car wash...
The kids raised $172 in 3 hours and tithed back to the church.

That's all for now.  We sure like it when you post a comment if you get the chance.

5 comments:

  1. I think you guys should do more stuff. Enough of just sitting around all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing and reading all that you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a hi-lite at the end of the day, just before I shut off the 'puter to see if you've updated your blog. So I hit the jack-pot tonight and got to see and read all about your shrimping experience. That's rather funny. I didn't know I could leave comments so I'm glad you mentioned that.
    I drove Danika down to feed the horses tonight and left Solana at home alone for those few minutes. As soon as we pulled up in the driveway, Solana came running out saying "James phoned and Janna phoned. I talked to them." She was quite thrilled. Ryan was at the college in Salmon Arm today doing a robotics Lego class. He thot it was so cool and wanted me to buy him the Lego set. When he told me it cost $300. I let out a laugh and he said "so I guess that means no".
    O.K. it's time to get Solana to bed. It's exam week at the high school so the kids are now home for the next 2 days since their tests are finished.
    I only intented to write a comment but kinda got carried away....
    Nighty night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toews Family Comments (minus Kenny who already commented about you guys needing to stop sitting around... what a goof!)
    Ethan says: How do you catch the shrimp? We went to the USS Lexington too! I really like the picture of the puffer fish from your last post!
    Brayden says: I want to tell James to keep up the hard, hard, hard work on math (You're ahead of us, we're not on that page yet)! My favorite picture so far is the Cajun weather rope thing. Maybe we should do a mood rope: If you swingin fists, angry. If you laughin hard, happy. If you eyes wet, cryin. If you eyes shut... you James doin math!
    Charlene says: Love the schoolwork shots! What a great way to hit the books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure miss you guys! Cant wait for you guys to get back home:) Looks like you guys are having lots of fun, I love reading and seeing pictures of your trip!

    Love your sister
    Monique

    ReplyDelete